- Record all details of the cheques you issue.
- Do not leave your cheque book unattended. Always keep it in a safe place, under lock and key.
- Whenever you receive a new cheque book, make sure you count the number of cheque leaves in it. Contact your nearest NBF branch or call 8008NBF(623) in case of any discrepancies.
- Do not sign blank cheques. Always fill in the date, the name of the receiver and the amount before signing the cheque.
- Remember to cross your cheque whenever applicable to prevent it from being misused.
- Always draw a line through any unused space.
- Never sign in multiple places, unless authenticating a change.
- Avoid using cheques with changes made on them. Issue a new cheque if possible.
- To cancel a cheque, mutilate the Magnetic Ink Character Recognition (MICR) band and write CANCEL" across the face of the cheque.
- Do not write/sign/mark/pin/staple/paste/fold on the MICR band.
- Always use your own pen when writing a cheque.
- Avoid writing on bank notes.
- The watermark in particular should always remain unmarked.
- Never accept help from a stranger at an ATM or at a bank cash counter when making a deposit or withdrawal.