Taking out a bank loan is a big commitment. Many people don't consider the implications of the decisions they make concerning the amount, interest rate types and repayment periods of the loans they obtain, and find themselves in a stressful position as a result.
As a responsible borrower, you should:
- First ascertain whether a taking out a loan is absolutely essential, or whether you're able to make your desired purchase out of savings.
- Create a clear budget, factoring in all of your income and monthly and ad hoc expenses. This will give you an idea of how much you can comfortably repay the bank after you've taken care of your other financial obligations.
- Know the difference between the two types of interest rates in order to decide which suits you best.
- Understand the implications of a short-term versus long-term loan repayment periods.
- Work out the total cost of your borrowing (i.e. the loan amount plus the cumulative interest and fees you'll end up paying).
How NBF can help you borrow wisely
At NBF, we want to help you make informed decisions about the loan amount, interest type and repayment period given your personal circumstances. By borrowing wisely, you'll stay in control of your money.
Use the following calculators to get an accurate idea of how loan amounts, interest rate types and repayment periods will affect you. If you're still unsure, you're welcome to contact us - we're very happy to help!
How much can I borrow?
Use this calculator to get an indication of how much you can sensibly borrow from the bank >
Learn about interest rates
Get a better understanding of the different types of interest rates, and find out which is best suited to you >
Calculate your monthly repayment
Use this loan calculator to get a detailed breakdown of the monthly amount you need to repay NBF >